Sunday, April 11, 1999

X-Files 6.17 "Trevor"

Hey, I actually liked this one!!!! :D Amazing. I watched the re-run
last week, "Drive," the one with the high speed chase, and I think that's the
best one of the year.

I liked this one, for really simple reasons: It was actually an X-file
and it was actually creepy.
We had Scully doing an autopsy and mulder making inappropriate jokes.
It was like the old days, and when I saw the writers credit, and saw two
unfamiliar names, I thought: "AHA." I think this episode was written by
two guys that wrote an episode of the X-Files based on what that USED to
be. They weren't "bored" with the successful formula that the shows
veteran writing team seem determined to subvert. The humor in this episode was
EXACTLY what I was to referring to in my critique of that wretched storm
episode (speaking of which, I'm in LA and it's been raining for the last
12 hours--I think Chris Carter brought the Vancouver dreariness with him.)
They were able to make Mulder snarky and Scully bemused without it
seeming as though they were indifferent to the horror around them. In other
words, like all good cop shows, we are able to see Mulder's wise-cracking as a
coping mechanism. I loved the "dear diary line, and Scully's defensive
"Mulder, shut up."

I really liked the actors in this show, particularly the killer, who was
able to engender genuine sympathy, I thought. Having just watched "The
Shawshank redemption" on either TNT or TBS (I'm never really sure...),
Mulder's putting his finger through that wall was very familiar, but I
thought the story shaped up rather originally, and it made sense to me:
The weather causes this freak mutation (ala spiderman, et al) and the guy
just goes with it. I liked the fact that he was after his son and not money:
I didn't see that coming and at the end, I felt kinda sorry for the guy: He
wanted to be a better man, perhaps, but he didn't have it in him. The
scene with his face coming through the wall was VERY creepy and cool, I
thought. I really cared about the supporting players in this episode,
june and Jackie seemed like real people doing the best that they can, and
failing. June found the money, and, like Rawls with his newfound powers,
uses it to do what seems like the best thing FOR HER. Both figure they
are owed. June is sorry to be found out, but makes no real apology for
trying to build good life on top of lies and ill-gotten gain. I thought June
kinda sucked for leading Rawls to her sister and kid, but liked the scene
where Rawls thanks Jackie for raising his son. Again, everyone had real
dignity. I loved Scully's phone booth idea, and the way she and Jackie
were both obviously willing to die for Trevor. Is it just me, or does
Scully now only wear black?? She used to wear many colored suits, but
now it's always W.I.B. Scully. No complaints, here. Next week looks
intriguing, although the guy seems a little weasely to get Scully to
swoon--she usually goes for big lurpy guys but whatever, I'm there.

Have a great week :D Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home