Monday, January 04, 1999

X-Files 6.7 "Terms of Endearment"

Hey everybody, Happy New Year! Wow, 1999. Listening to the radio on New
Year's eve, and everyone was playing really really great music, because
they knew everyone was partying, and it struck me that they should play
music like that all year round. As i write this, I'm listening to a new
CD by a group called New Radicals, and I'm just obsessed with it. It's
very ELO/Todd Rungren 70's sounding, but in a totally 90's way, check it
out if that sounds interesting to ya!

This episode was not as scary as I had hoped, but it was better than I
thought it would be. Meaning, I thought it was pretty lame about halfway
through, but by the end, I thought the twists were kinds cool. For
instance, when Laura, the good wife, bit the demon in her dream, I knew
we were going to find that bite mark on Bruce Campbell. But they did that
all rather nicely in the end--they expected us to figure out that he was the
bad guy before she did, and then they reveal that yes, duh, he's a
demon--but one who wants a nice normal life!. I don't know how much
sence that makes, but it fooled me, and that's always enjoyable. Bruce
Campbell was the star of the ill-fated "The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr.",
the first of MANY shows paired with the X-Files on Friday nights. that was
back in 1993 (*Runaway Train by Soul Asylum playing*) when X-Files and
Brisco were both fighting for the honor of being the lowest rated show on
television. Why X-Files was given a chance to become a phenomena while
Brisco was cancelled, we'll never know, but it was nice to see the always
interesting Bruce Campbell here nevertheless.

Nice to see Spender for a minute--but ONLY a minute, hee hee hee.
Loved how Mulder goes through his trash to piece together his shreaded X-Files:
it incapsulates everything noble and pathetic about Mulder. There is now
a notation here in my notes (yes, I take notes!) that is completely
illegible, so just think up something witty and/or insightful and
attribute it to me, if you would be so kind. Loved Scully doing background checks
on potential federal employees, an actual (and important) duty of FBI
agents, but, like protecting us from domestic terrorism, too boring for Mulder so
he sticks Scully with the scut work. He's not good in groups, but Scully
covers, as usual. Scully's reference to the classic horror film
"rosemary's Baby" (which I have not seen myself because I'm a
scaredy-cat) was great, because it harkened back to first season X-Files, when scully
used to reference scary movies all the time ( The exorcist, Carrie,
Poltergeist, etc.). Typically, Mulder bags his assigned duty and sleeps
during his supposed surveilance of the demon while Scully completes her
asigned duty and then, on her OWN TIME, deprives herself of sleep to help
Mulder with his case. Mulder's line to the demon "I know what you are,"
reminded me of....something. I have a memory of Scully saying it to
someone, in similar circumstances, but I can''t be sure of that and I
certainly can't place it. Oh well. So, Mulder believes in demons, but
not angels? OK. And Scully believes in God and the occasional angel, but
not demons? I'd better put C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" in their
stockings! Scully's talks with her priest must be interesting, "Look,
even if a god actually exists..." I'm not sure they have any established
continuity for what Scully actually believes. I enjoyed the few minutes,
towards the end? Where they actually worked the case together, ran
through the woods with flashlights and trenchcoats, like the old days, and hope
we see more of them together in the future. It was nice how they had both
the agents and the bad guy doing background checks on people. Loved Scully's
annoyance when Mulder told her to hang on and he did a 180 and sped off
to the other wifes house. She wasn't scared, or shocked, just mildly
annoyed "where are we going Mulder?" love it. The evil wife is a soap vet, One
Life to Live's Grace Phillips. ANyone out there who doesn't believe in
demons is either a liar, or they haven't seen those Welch's grape juice
commercials with that positively unnerving little blond girl who is so
articulate and demanding that she must have been belched from the bowels
of hell. If you know WHO I mean, than you know WHAT i mean. Well, I must
go, i have my first day of work tomorrow at a new job. It is exciting, but
I'm very nervous. I don't like meeting new people, and this feels like the
first day at a new school: what do i wear, will anyone like me? What if
it's too hard, etc. On the upside MY BELOVED SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
DEFEATED THE GREEN BAY PACKERS WITH A STUNNING LAST SECOND STEVE YOUNG PASS TO TERRELL OWENS. Take that you Cheeseheads, and Oh, yeah, it's also 60
degrees out here, hope your pipes don't freeze. To all you good,
non-Packer fans who are in bad weather right now, I really hope your
pipes (nor anything else you value) freeze.

Have a great week :D Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home