Monday, January 11, 1999

X-Files 6.8 "The Rain King"

Hey everybody! I really enjoyed tonight's episode! Yes, it was
humorous, but in the old, familiar way, and with Mulder and Scully together!
Together! Again, they were TOGETHER during most of the episode. Very
key. director Kim Manners did not disappoint, this episode like all his
others was visually striking. I loved the Wizard of Oz ending, the heart-shaped
hail, and loved those freaky cloud faces.

I've actually met Victoria Jackson: I seated her and her family at a
taping of " Dennis Miller Live" show, when I was a page at CBS. She was
very nice. Loved the use of the song "rainy Days and Mondays", but the
show missed out on bookending their episode with the two most sorrofully
sweet voices in music by using a knock-off instead of the Carpenters (it
was a nice attempt, but that was NOT Karen Carpenter). That hail storm
was cool, and Fox-appropriate, I thought to myself "When Weather Attacks! "
Gillian was just delightful in this episode. She can do so much without
words, and her varying degrees of pain, embarrasment and irritation were
a pleasure to behold. "We usually just say please." scully had reached
her level of tolerance when they stepped off the plane and were greeted by
majorette, but Mulder is having a blast. He just loves the whole danged
thing. He loves it when the rain king starts his dance, but Scully is SO
DIGNIFIED, that other peoples lack thereof actually embarrases her.
Mulder in a soft t-shirt, gets me every time. Say, for those of you who pay too
much attention to things, you know how Chris carter often has the clock
saying "10:13" or "11:21", his birthday, and either his anniversasry or
his wife's birthday, I forget. Anyway, When Scully looks at the clock....IT
WAS MY BIRTHDAY!!!! 3:08. I think it must mean something (humor me here,
people.)

This was the smug scully and enthusiastic Mulder we missed last year
during that horrible role-revearsal that just didn't work. I loved
Scully trying not to laugh at Victoria's story: Scully really did find it
ludicrous, but her compassionate nature won the battle, and she refrained
from chuckling. That long silence as mulder told her he was going to
give dating advice was priceless, as, again, were her looks of discomfort and
amusment at Mulder's romantic quandry. Hate to say it, but it felt very
siblingish.

Any episode that features a disco ball, gets Christine bonus points.
Didn't recognize the third 70's song, after "rock the Boat" by the Hues
Corporation (74) and "The Things we do for Love" by 10cc (77). If anyone
caught it and knows it, I'd appreciate a heads-up. Then, ending with
Judy singing her signature song--this episode had a soundtrack! SO, a second
Wizard of Oz episode? Nice, but let's move on people. i just liked this
episode, it was a pleasure, and next week, we got some conspiracy action,
Skinner, aw yeah, I'm there. Scully's lesson in love was hopeful indeed,
and I think it's propecy: Someday, that switch is going to be flicked,
and Mulder and Scully will be 2-gether 4-ever. Last episode?

I had a great first week at my new job, and am not dreading another
week of it, which strikes me as a positive sign. My beloved 49ers lost
toAtlanta, but they fought a good fight. The playoffs have been pretty
exciting, and I think next weekend will be chok full o' good football and
X-Files, I really think so!

Hope you have good weeks, Christine :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home