Monday, November 23, 1998

X-Files 6.3 "Triangle"

Well well well, now that's Entertainment! I loved that the episode was
letterboxed, and I enjoyed the opening "Jaws-cam." Mulder's destroyed
boat is called "Lady Garland," in case you were unsure that the Wizard of Oz
angle was intentional or not. I do not know what the other tagline was,
so anyone who does, please send me the translation, I'll be much obliged.

Mulder is so quick to beleive he's on the missing ship in the time-warp,
which speaks to this being a dream. vickie, if you have any dream
analysis to offer, I'd love to hear it. (i.e is it significant that Scully is
wearing Red?) Of course, it can't be all bad an alternate universe when you get to
knock Spender's block off. It appeared to me that Mulder recognized the blond
singer in the ballroom, but I didn't. If you did, please let me know.
Gillian is so perfect for this era, and I have always maintained that she
belongs in a project set in this era. Loved her straight out of a 40's
movie dialogue, and her dead-on delivery--that girl's got moxie!
cancerman as a nazi is understandable...but Skinner?? Perhaps this has to do with
his being an authority figure...A few random continuity "issues," nothing
serious: mulder got horribly sea-sick in "Dod Kalm" and needed Scully to
drive the boat in "Quagmire" ["Everything after 'I'm sorry?'"] but it's
certainly Mulderish to go out into the middle of the ocean regardless,
and may speak to Scully's frantic concern on his behalf. scully just has no
respect for skinner, does she? This is not the first time she insults
his integrity, his manliness, I dare say, when he won't help her--and he
loves it, obviously. He always going out on a limb for her (does he know he
sold his soul to cancerman on her behalf? Does she know that she's his hero?
The wind beneath his wings? I would quibble with the fact that Navy brat
Scully doesn't know anyone at Naval intelligence, but maybe she doesn't
want any of her Dad's old friends knowing what a Bureau black sheep she's
become. Kersch is conspiring with Cancerman, so Scully....now, I'm
unwilling to believe that Scully was STUPID in going to Spender for help,
so I'm gonna say that she was cocky. She just assumed (as most people
would) that she could push the twerp around. Loved that she had
everything memorized--Scully doesn't need the piece of paper, she's Scully. Talk
about your steady-cam, my word!! She battles snotty secretary's with
aplomb! Of course Skinner moves heaven and earth to help his beloved
Scully, and the kiss she plants on him means more to him than she may
ever know!

For Mr. "the government is bad", Mulder is sure doin' a lot of
flag-waiving as he mouths off to the spy. In any and all universes,
Scully rules as we see her standing up to the Nazi's. Anyone else get a "Darth
Vader/Princess Leia" vibe as Scully glared defiantly at Cancerman? maybe
I'm just still drunk off the Star Wars preview i've been watching all
weekend, heehee.

***Flashback**

The Century Dome theater in Pleasant Hill, California.

Late May, 1983. (David Bowie's "Let's Dance" playing)

A 12 year-old me strolls toward my parents' station wagon, grinning from
ear to ear, having just seen "Return of the Jedi." It had been three
long years since I had last seen my heroes in "The Empire Strikes Back." As a
>mere nine-year old, I used to lie awake in bed (Olivia Newton John's
"Magic" playing) worrying about Han Solo's fate--surely, he wasn't dead.
HE CAN'T BE DEAD, despite what my friend Rachel's older brother said.
But Han was indeed alive, and that movie ruled (this was when I first started
saying "ruled" actually, and I'll probably be saying it when I'm 80--
"That tapioca pudding ruled!."). This was also before I got older and came to
hate the Ewoks. Anyway, I remember thinking to myself, "I can't believe
I'll be in high school in three years, when the next trilogy begins....I
hear it's a prequel. Maybe we'll find out about Luke and Leia's mother.
I wonder if I'll even care about Star Wars when I'm 15..."

I'm 27. I STILL haven't seen that damned movie and I still care, very
very much.

Sorry that flashback couldn't have been a split-screen, in keeping with
the tone of the episode.

ANYWAY.....where was I? Oh yes. I loved how OSS Scully had such clear
disdain for Mulder. The scene where she passes through herself was a
work of art--kudo's for everyone involved in the post-production of this
episode.

THE KISS. No matter how you look at it, this COUNTS. I wish it hadn't
been shot so dark, but it was at least long. But even though it wasn't
REALLY Scully, the point is, Mulder REALLY wanted to kiss her, and was
thrilled with the experience. I mean, it's his dream right? Scully's
right hook was awesome. Scully's ubiquitous "Mulder it's me," at his
bedside was a great way to bring him back to this plane, and I loved how
patronizing she was with loopy Mulder. Skinner brings flowers...for
Mulder, of for Dana? And Mulder's joy at the idea that scully would actually
believe him and take one of his theories seriously is quite telling. His
sincere profession of love is lost on Scully who has heard him joke about
the subject too many times ("Tooms," "Piper Maru," and last year's one
with the doll...I'm so bad with names for last season.) to believe what she
assumes is a drug-induced rambling. What matters is that I believe him
:)

Next week looks fun, although I'm curious about the fact that our heroes
aren't spending too much time with each other so far this year. Happy
Thanksgiving everyone! :)

Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home