Sunday, November 08, 1998

X-Files 6.1 "The Beginning"

Hey everybody! welcome back to the X-files, didn't that kick ass? I
am very optimistic about the new
season, as I've been reading a lot of reviews and interviews, and
everyone seems rejuvenated and excited
about the X-Files. I am currently visiting my family up in Northern
California, and am at my sister's computer,
so it's all a little different. Actually, I've just quit my job of
2and a half years, so everything's very weird and
different, so hey, I'm down with Mulder and Scully....Ok, I'm not in
disgrace or anything, but go with me
here. I read that Chris Carter had shot a new opening title sequence
that tweaked the music, added graphics
etc., but he chickened out and kept the old one. I may be in the
minority, but I think the opening is cheesy--
very derivitive of "Remington Steele." But what do I know? I like
that they are shooting in California--
Hey, it was two different planets in "Return of the Jedi," it can
certainly double for the rest of the US. I mean,
if you recall "Conduit," from the first season, they're in Iowa,
supposedly, and there's mountains and
redwoods--pretty lame. And Night is Night, dark is dark. You don't
need to be in Canada to be moody.
They shot 21 Jump Street up there, that wasn't moody.

Anyway, I thought the episode was great: bloody, creepy with some nice
character moments. Notice
the "Roush" name on the van in the beginning? That name came up in
the beginning of last season too. I
was so excited that we were finally watching a new episode of the show,
I kept turning to my sister and
saying "I don't know what's going to happen next!" Loved the tribunal,
Mulder giving his usual Rebel Yell,
while Scully looked uncomfortable. Scully hates being on the outside,
hates being in the doghouse, Mulder
doesn't give a rat's patootie. Carter did a marvelous job recapping
the movie and it's convoluted plot by
having it mocked by Wendie Malick's mean FBI big shot. Mulder and Scully
have a great fight right off the bat, and was it just me, or did Scully seem a little excited by it?
Dirty Diana and Pencil Neck as the anti-
Mulder and Scully, what the X-Files could be when David and Gillian
leave: lame. Love Mulder's open
contempt for Spender. I miss John Neville as the bad guy I liked. SO
sad to see him blow up in the movie.
Loved Scully being "rule girl" at the crime scene--the Homer Simpson
homage at the nuclear plant
was a bit too cute for me, and unnecessary, as Scully is indeed Lisa
Simpson all grown-up. When Mulder
was trying to explain how the aliens hatched from the body of that guy,
my sister thought Mulder should have
said "Didn't you see 'Alien', Scully?" Just keep robbing from the
best, and you'll be fine, Chris. If anyone
> wants to read about an evil murderous baby, I highly recommend "the
Small Assassin," by Ray Bradbury. A
very creepy short story in "The October Country." Anyway, loved Cancer
Man's saying "I'm not afraid of you," the
way a child would. Mulder and Scully's next fight is great--Scully
grabs his hand as she reminds him of his
expressed devotion and respect for her that he made in the film--is she
reminding him of the kiss? Weren't
you all thrilled to see that in the recap, as if to assure us they
won't pretend that didn't happen? Loved how
pissed she looked when he said her science was wrong--"my science is
never wrong!" she seemed to say with her eyes.
A happy face is one that's securly fastened to yur skull: 'nuff said,
yee! Scully, as she was in last season's finale, is the only one who seems truly interested in Gibson as a person, and I loved that Gillian is
able to convey her memories of Cancer treatment and Alien
experimentaion through her eyes and body
language--we don't need her to say "Gee, I know how you feel, I felt
helpless and scared when I went through this, and this reminds me of what
happened to Emily, too!" Thanks for trusting us Chris! Diana is so
obvious, coaxing Mulder with her "I'm as kooky as you" ass-kissing
stuff, and Mulder falls for it, the dope,
ditches Scully (that's once already this year, for those playing at
home). Diana's easy, a paranormal slut, if
you will, whereas Scully plays hard to get. Still, Mulder cheats on
Scully with his old partner, taking her to
the crime scene. I liked how mulder was stricken by finding the face.
Scully's yelling at the hospital staff
about Gibson's mysterious disappearnce harkens back to her mysterious
hospital arrival in Season 2's "One
Breath", and Mulder's righteous indignation on her behalf. Vickie,
remember when we were saying that one
>of the few things we disliked about the film was that we would have
liked Mulder and Scully to be reassigned
for a bit, answering to other people, doing other jobs and solving
X-Files on the side? We got our wish!
Their new boss is an "Another World" vet, by the way, which is always
nice to see. Scully shows Mulder
the truth about Diana's evil ways but he refuses to see the truth about
her, that will be a fun dynamic in
episodes to come, I hope. Loved how Scully's theory was even weirder
than Mulder's--she blinded him with
science! Her science wins in the end. SO we're all aliens eh? Sounds
a bit too L. ron Hubbard for me, but
it's interesting. Next week: The "CHiPs" episode of X-Files, can't wait:D

Hope you all have a great week :D

Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home