Monday, November 22, 1999

Behold, the evil that IS Orange County...X-Files 7.3 "Hungry"

Hee hee hee.

Ok, is it too early for me to start complaining? I get what the usually
brilliant Vince Gilligan was trying to do here, tell the story from the
monster's point of view, but...I still think that could have been done in
an episode without making Mulder and Scully the $%*&ing guest stars, you
know? Hopefully, this isn't a trend.

I think ordering Diet Sprite is what got that first guy killed, ick. I
only drink Sprite as an antacid, so I associate it with being sick.
Mulder totally dates himself with the "Have it your way" line--the kids behind
the counter probably weren't even alive when Burger king was using that line.

The beginning was fun because I liked how much fun Mulder and Scully
seemed to be having working an actual X-file together---practically a
post-mythology season opener traditiion to have them NOT dealing with
said season opener. The fast food setting was probaly Gilligan's homage to
the feature he did last year--"Home Fries" starring Drew barrymore. I didn't
see it, so I can't comment. I thought the idea that everyone would have
those pins on them was silly, and the implication that everyone working
at the place seemed to be actually on duty at this shift on this day. I
mean, if anyone knows of a fast food restaurant with THAT many people working
there, let me know where it is, I'll go there.

I liked Scully's implied knowledge of Orange County--the isolationist
county just south of LA for those of you who are not in the know. Scully
spent part of her childhood in the San Diego area, don't forget. In the
"monster-point-of-view" category, I liked that Mulder came off like a
smug jerk. The part where Rob licks the blood off his fingers was highly
derivitive of the the first season stand-out, Tooms. Or was it Squeeze?
You know, liver eating guy.

I didnt' feel for Rob the way I think i was supposed to. I mean, he was
trying not to kill, but had to in order to live. Like TOoms, like the
cancer eating guy, like the fat eating guy from 2SHy, etc. etc. I mean,
we didn't see them go through any moral struggle, but that didn't make me
root for this guy. Especially after he killed poor Sylvia. So, that being
said, that's a lot of time to spend with the villian, the bad guy. I
mean, when Mulder and Scully show up at his place at 40 minutes into the
episode I was like "YAY! Mulder and Scully!" You know, the two people who's
names appear at the beginning of every show? Loved the "Good cop Insane Cop"
line, that's a keeper.

This episode wasn't dreadful, but it does illustrate to me why this HAS
to be the last season: they've just plain run out of ideas for monster
stories. And this was a real disappointment coming from The show's most
consistantly imaginative writer, Vince Gilligan (now that Darin Morgan is
gone).

Finally, I can't beleive that Mulder shot first, not Scully. Amazing.

That's all I really have to say. Next week, we've got the Millenium
cross-over with Lance Hendriksen as Frank Black. The main excitment is
THIS IS IT kids. Mulder and Scully are supposed to kiss in this one. I
think it's about dang time. No bees, no dreams, no shapeshifting
pretenders. Mulder and Scully kiss. *sigh*

Say, since it is thanksgiving and FX is doing their viewers choice
marathon, I thought it would be fun if you all told us your favorite
episode! JUST ONE. YOU MUST PICK ONLY ONE. I'll report them as they
come in. You don't have to know the name, I'll be able to figure it out if
you give me enough details. It's very hard to pick one, but imagine you're
over at my place and you behold my collection of every episode of the
X-Files taped at slow speed on high grade tapes. You say "Let's watch
some!" But I'm being a selfish jerk and I say "Whoa there partner, you
can only choose one!" And you must choose ONLY ONe. I don't know why I'm
wasting my time because i know some of you will be like: "Well, as far as
humorous, this one, but this is my favorite Mulder episode and this is my
favorite Scully--" NO! There can be only one. Mine is "Clyde
Bruckman's Final Repose" The Darin Morgan penned 3rd season stand-out featuring
Peter Boyle (who won an emmy for his performance) as a reluctant psychic who
can predict how a person is going to die and when. It manages to be both
hilarious and yet, in the end, incredibly moving. I look foward to your
responses--and no pressure, you don't have to pick one if you don't
want--but DON'T Pick THREE! Ok. That's it. Have a great thanksgiving,
Christine :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home