Sunday, January 04, 1998

X-Files 5.8 "Kitsunegari"

Hey gang, hope you all had good holidays. I did, then promptly got the flu
upon by return to work. I 'm over the worst of it. The 49ers stomping
of the Vikings this weekend had magical healing powers (and fluids and
rest). Did you like this latest installment? I thought it really cooked! It
was very fast paced, and almost deserved two-parter status. My only real
complaint was i wish the climax had dragged on a bit more. I think
they needed maybe five more minutes that they just didn't have, but that's
small, all in all, it's a nice little head-trip. Did my eyes deceive me or
did the great Vince Gilligan need help penning this one? (snicker). Nice
to see Mulder and Scully named as "S.A.C.'s" "Special Agent's in Charge"
by skinner--the X-Files Can be a fast track if you get in tight with the
Asst. Director. Of course, within a few hours Mulder's in the doghouse. :)
I always enjoy when our heroes have to work with other agents and
agencies. You all know how much I enjoy scully and her family. One of my
favorite things with Mulder is his genius, those gut-instincts he has and that
he follows to make connections that other agents are simply not capable of
making. That's why he was known as "spooky" before he got into the
X-Files, and it's why the powers that be indulge his devotion to the
X-files. Becuase he's to valuable a crime-solver to banish, no matter
how bizarre his methods may be. I loved that Skinner and Scully didn't
believe in him . This was handled nicely because Scully was so worried for
Mulder's safety. It wasn't a compromise of their relationship, in fact her
concern for his objectivity and clarity is justified by her past
experiences with Modell. I loved how shaken both Mulder and Scully
were by her lack of faith in him. I was confused by Mulder's reasoning too and
Loved It, loved that I didn't anticipate that Modell had gone good andwas
actually trying to help Mulder. I loved that skinner wouldn't admit to
being duped by Pusher, insisting on the phantom gun. And ooh how I
loved the friction between our bickering heroes. The end was brief but so
great, and raises an interesting question. Can Scully be "pushed" around, or
just Mulder? Perhaps these bad-jedi mind-tricks only work on the
weak-minded, and Scully's mind has always been her strength. Poor Skinner tries to
give Mulder a compliment, and gets blown off. He tries so hard to belong.
Mulder's mad because Scully saved his weak-minded butt again. Don't
worry, Fox. In a few weeks time, she'll get clocked in the head by a bad guy
as she invariably does, and you can return the favor. Good bye til' next week kids,
and, between "pusher" and "Scream 2," be extra careful when
answering the phone, would ya? ;)

Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home