Sunday, November 23, 1997

X-Files 5.4 "Detour"

Say, let me know if you don't want to recieve these commentaries, I
realize they're long winded and self indulgent, but HEY, it's the internet...

I LOVED THIS EPISODE. Having watched the Darin Morgan scripted
"Millenium", I was lamenting his seeming unwillingness to write
another episode, but Vince Gilligan proved he could do fun with last year's
tail babies episode, and now Frank Spotnitz does them both better by
writing a very funny episode that is also really scary. Ok, that
twin-growth-monster in Humbug was scary, but, the glowing eyes in the
shadows of that kid's
house was terrifying. Bad things happen in the woods, and if there's
anyone in the country stilll going camping, they don't watch the X-Files.
I mean, I won't even use a porta-potty at an Indigo Girls concert,
ok?

I love when Mulder and Scully have to deal with mere mortals.
Mulder andScully's wonderfully witty exchanges were priceless. Mulder was just
plain adorable. I love how he cut out, and of course Scully went cuz she's
supposed to, but she's not above slipping some wine and cheese into
her purse. Was she planning on getting him drunk? heh heh. Later,
when they're in the dreaded woods, and Scully's trying to light the fire,
it struck jen and me: is he really flirting with her? I mean, I really
believe he may hve been trying to gauge her interest. I know for a
fact that many of you spent most of the episode squealing with delight
(and terror). I love how Mulder can't resist being a wise-ass, so scully
just habitually ignores the first thing he says. Then she dives in to the
serious issues. Scully's a Three Dog Night fan, who knew? You know,
it occurs to me, that with her bad singing, Mulder's scary stories and
both of their encyclopedic knowledge of useless facts, they're both
probably pretty annoying on a long car trip (my twin jen likes to
refer to scully as a female cliff clavin from "Cheers? "It's a little known
fact..." And remember that "I'll try to keep you warm" line, girls it seemed
to work. (He looked happy) Scully was very maternal through out, i
especially love her reassuring him like you would a child "You were
never out of my sight..." Scully would be the one I'd want to have around
if I were stuck somewhere--she could start a fire (next time) drive a boat
shoot a gun gather berries etc while I warm up Mulder... And wasn't it nice
that the other agents helped out in the end--team work!!! And wasn't it
cruel of the gang at X-files to remind us of those damn monsters under the
bed. Sigh, Why do you think I'm at the computer and not there
myself...Well, This is an episode to savor, like a cold slice of pumpkin pie for
breakfast the morning after Thanksgiving....MMMMMM. Scully's a Betty, Mulder's
an indian Guide but I still feel the need to remind them both, it's
never a nice trip to the forest...happy thanksgiving, go 49ers, Do Not go
camping ;)

Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home