Sunday, November 30, 1997

X-Files 5.5 "the Post-Modern Prometheus"

Well, kids, what did you think? I liked elements of this episode,
but personally it bothered me, and please don't be upset with me because
I can be too critical, and if you loved it, well your opinion is as vaild
as mine. That being said, I felt this episde was too derivitive of last
season's "Home" and the witty "Small Potatoes", both of which dealt
with (on some level) mutants and how they might procreate. Now, let me
start by saying that I know this was a fun, fantastical episode and it probably
shouldn't be taken too seriously. I love Cher, and I loved how her
music was used in this episode. I loved Scully's looks of scorn and
contempt, her "insert appropriate insult here" look. She just pauses and makes
sure Mulder's following her train of thought. I loved how Scully deals
with the not-so-bright interviewees, and the self-aggrandizing scientist. I
especially loved how he threw her a challenging question to try to
make her look bad, and realizing this, she tries to answer even though she
clearly doeasn't know he was talking about. Wouldn't want to admit you don't
know something in front of Mulder, would you Dana? I loved that Scully
uses the word "dopey" I love that she makes a possible reference to
Cher's "Half Breed", and soon after, we hear "Gypsies tramps and Thieves,"
both of which were #1's for cher in the early seventies.

BUT, whereas stylish direction is usually used to envigorate, to
enliven an already fine script, I felt that Chris carter wrote the script to
serve his directorial interests. I'm not explaining this the way I want, I
guess I found the style a bit stifiling. i know, it's just a comic book,
it's in good fun, but it was too dereivitive of those episode's a I mentioned
before, except in those, the agents, and the audience feel disgust at
the idea of Mutants seeking out unwilling sex-partners, but in this one,
it's Okay, because the women are glad to have their mutant babies and get
on Jerry springer. I found it all a little alarming. I didn't like
that they broke the forth wall, having the characters stop the action of the
script to change the episode? I mean, this isn't Moonlighting, it's
X-Files. I just felt a little manipulated, what with Mulder sweeping up Scully
in his arms, it's like chris Carter saying "It's my show, my characters, and
I can do whatever I want with them, even if it drives you to do desperate,
terrible things." Ok, but I don't have to like it. That being said,
I'm glad the monster got to see Cher, despite the fact I think he's a
rapist.

Did Chris carter watch "Edward Scissorhands" on acid? I didn't hate
it, I was just unsettled. i had my frying pan violated. write back and
tell me to chill, if you feel the need. Speaking of the unexplained, has
anyone seen the infomercial for The Kelly Family CD? If you haven't seen
it, this is a non-sequiter, but if you have, you know why an X-Files
episode about genetic mutants, distasteful subject matter, and unexplainable
things would bring it to mind. My twin liked the episode a lot. She was
moved by the sweet ending and thought it was "Home" with heart. Maybe she's
right, maybe chris wanted to tackle the subject from a lighter point of view
and I'm just cranky. Either way, Jen and I are the results of a genetic
mutation ourselves, and our difference of opinion on this matter is rather
fitting, as it speaks to mysteries of the procreation, of genes, of
nature vs. nurture, of mutants. We ain't all that bad, even those of us who
like 70's music perhaps a tad too much (but you won't find Me violating
anyone's frying pan, if you catch my drift, I'm not that kind of mutant.).
:)

Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home