Tuesday, May 16, 2000

X-Files 7.21 "Je Souhaite"

Okay. I actually liked this one. Yes, I know, it was humorous, but not
in the way that has annoyed me during the last half of this season. It was
whimsical, but no one lost their integrity. I hate to admit it, Diana,
but your boy Vince Gilligan can indeed USUALLY be counted on to deliver the
goods. I liked the X-File in this one, it was just a neat idea--I can't
believe they haven't done genie's before, and wasn't this actress great?
Paula Songe? Never heard of her but I thought she rocked. Also liked
Anson and Leslie--I loved Leslie's horrible attempt to cover for his
brother when they first arrive in Missouri. Mulder and Scully were
vaguely goofy in this episode but not clownish. Liked that Scully knew her
antique furniture. The scenes without Mulder and Scully were acceptable in this
one for me because I found the interplay between the brothers and the
genie so delightful. Loved the invisible man autopsy (wasn't that cool?) and
Scully's possessiveness and giddiness was hysterical. She was just so
scientifically thrilled. I felt bad for her when she was embarrassed in
front of the doctors.

This was the Aesop's Fable episode of the X-Files. Liked the super cool
trailer explosion. Liked how bummed Scully was when she lost her
invisible man, loved know it all Mulder with the genie. "Make me cool like the
Fonz," nuff said. Loved Scully's familiar mocking skepticism. Loved the
genie's old school 15th century wishes. Loved that Mulder was desperate
to find Scully in the empty world--but one can't read too much into that
since his whole family is dead and he has no social life. She really is all he
has. Mulder's exasperation when Scully began to doubt that she had
seen...so to speak..her invisible man was absolutely priceless--Mulder,
we know exactly how you feel. Loved that Mulder used his last wish to free
the genie--aww, he's not ALWAYS an ass. Not always.

The last scene was so cute--Mulder making them watch Caddyshack. I've
never seen it, actually, so I can't weigh in about its being a guy movie.
Loved when Scully almost choked on her beer when Mulder failed to
duplicate her neat little bottlecap flip. Their friendship is just so damned sexy
when they remember it.

I waited to do this review until I saw Gillian on Letterman tonight. She
said she spoke to Chris Cater and they still don't know whether this was
the end or not but she maintained that "under the right circumstances
(?)" they would all want to come back for another year. She said Carter was
in talks with Fox at this very moment. I'm sure it will be back, I just
don't know who'll be there and who won't. She also said they shot two endings,
one for a Season Finale, and one for a SERIES finale. She said it was
just one thing that she says at the end of the scene that changes EVERYTHING.
Take that for what it's worth.

I will be out of town next week so I'll probably do the review from my
parents computer like I did a little while back. It would probably
behoove us to watch the "Pilot" episode this week, since they are taking us back
to the "very plausible' state of Oregon where it all began "seven" years ago
(It's actually eight if memory serves, they date the Pilot in March of
92, but in subsequent seasons, they have referenced 1993 as the year Mulder
and Scully started working together.) If anyone has a DVD player out there,
YOU ARE going to either buy or rent the disc that has first season
deleted scenes, just so you know. I'll bring snacks. :D

SO, have a great week. Be careful what you wish for (an eighth season of
X-Files, for example).

Christine :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home